Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
Publishers: Ebury Press
If you do nothing else for your parenting this
year, decade life-time – read this book and make the effort to really ‘get’ what they’re saying.
It doesn’t cover everything, but everything it covers is important.
Chapter Headings (the italics are mine):
1. The Inverse Power of Praise
2. The Lost Hour (of sleep)
3. Why White Parents Don’t Talk About Race
4. Why Kids Lie
5. The Search for Intelligent Life in Kindergarten
6. The Sibling Effect (It’s NOT about parental attention!)
7. The Science of Teen Rebellion
8. Can Self-Control be Taught (Hell yes, but not how many people think!)
9. Plays Well With Others
10. Why Hannah Talks and Alyssia Doesn’t (Or why the kid who was with me all the time spoke in full sentences at 18 months while the two that happily took off to play by themselves took a little longer!)
Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME.
(PS And please come back and tell me what you think!)